Friday, January 02, 2009

January 02, 2009; Volume 05, Number 01

January 02, 2009; Volume 05, Number 01

Click here for the audio file of today's program

Click here for a transcript of today's program

Happy New Year to you and yours, from all of us in Columbia, South Carolina. I hope you will find for another year enough of interest on the Japan Considered Podcasts to bring you back for more. Now that I'm an officially retired person, I can no longer use the "day job got in the way" excuse for not producing programs on time. So hopefully we'll have even more of them this year. No promise! But I'll do my best.

This week I have a real treat for you. Dr. Jim Auer of Vanderbilt University agreed at the last minute to do an interview to explain the ins and outs of the collective self defense issue for us. Even though he was in the midst of year-end and year-beginning family festivities over there in Tennessee. Thanks, Jim!

Quite a few of you wrote in after the last program asking for more detail about this subject. And since it's well beyond my area of expertise -- even my presumed area of expertise -- I thought it best to call in an expert.

I'd hoped also to consider the timing of Japan's next general election. But that didn't work out. Next time for sure. There's lots of interest for us to consider there. Even though Japan's media has been full of the topic for the past couple of weeks.